DLTK's Educational Activities for
Alphabet Ideas: The Letter M Tracer Pages
M is for Motorcycle (Standard font)
black & white
(standard and script = printing fonts)
(cursive = handwriting font)
These pages allow children to trace the letters to help with the learning
process. Here are some thoughts on how to use the pages with younger
- have the child identify the letter on the page
- point to which is the capital letter and which is the small letter
- ask what sound the letter makes
- point to the picture on the page and stress the letter's sound in that
word "AAAApple starts with A"
- trace the upper case letters
- take a break if you wish and colour the picture
- trace the lower case letters
- try a few without tracing
- hang the finished page in a place of honour (show how proud you are of
their accomplishments). A sticker or stamp for a job well done is always
Here's an alternate idea for kindergarten aged kids (my daughter's age)...
this is our nightly routine (take a break and colour the picture when the child
- trace all the capital letters and lower case letters (doesn't take too
long at this age)
- Count the capital letters in the first line. Write the number beside.
Count the capital letters in the second line. Write the number beside. Ask
what the two added together are.
- Estimate the small letters. Count them. How close was the child. Ask if
their estimate was greater or less than what they counted.
- Talk about the picture. Ask the child to think of a story about the
picture. For children who've done this awhile, ask them what the BEGINNING of
their story is, the MIDDLE and the END. Ask them if their story is fiction or
- Ask your child to write the story on the back of the tracer page (sound
out the words).
- Write the words, spelling them properly. Point out where the child got
letters right (Tasha usually doesn't get the entire word correct, but almost
always gets the first and last letter. Focus on the positive!) Point out
- Eat a chocolate chip cookie (mommy too... that was hard work!)