DLTK's Educational Crafts - Learn the Alphabet
For the octopus, you will need a toilet paper roll, a printer, something to colour with, scissors, glue, and paper (I prefer construction paper).
- Print out the template of choice.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces.
- Glue the large rectangular piece on first to cover the tube. I found a full tp roll was a bit too tall for the octopus, so cut it down a bit (use the height of the rectangle as a guide).
- bend about 1/4 inch of each tentacle and glue to the inside of the tube.
- Younger children can count the tentacles (8).
- Slightly older children can count the suckers on each tentacle (4) and the tentacles (8) and then sort out that 4 x 8 = 32 either by multiplying or by counting all the suckers.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).