Paper Bag Lion Puppet
This is a fun and easy cut and paste paper craft that
uses a paper bag as a base to make a puppet. You can omit template
3 (the mane) for a female lion.
glue or tape
- yellow paint or yellow construction paper
- OPTIONAL: orange or brown felt
- OPTIONAL: yellow, brown or orange wool
- Print out the template of choice.
- Colour the pieces as appropriate and cut them out. (cutting may
require adult assistance and can be pre-done).
- OPTIONAL: instead of printing template 3, cut the 1/2 circles out
of orange or brown felt.
- See the picture above for how the puppet should look when
GET FAMILIAR WITH YOUR PAPER BAG:
I'm going to walk through this slowly, so try not to giggle at me.
- Look at your paper bag. It should be closed and flat like a piece of
paper. Just like when they are brand new.
- On one side, it's all smooth. This will be the
BACK of your puppet
- It's important that all the kids get the back and front straight at
- On the other side there's a flippy tab (which is typically the bottom of
the bag when you're carrying your lunch around...)
- This flippy tab will be the HEAD
- Lift the flippy tab up a bit. Underneath of the tab will be the mouth,
- When the child put's her hand in the bag, she'll be able to make the
- Look at the rest of the front of the bag. (The 3/4 or so of the bag below
the part with the flippy tab) This will be the
- Look at the sides of the bag. There should be a
FLAP of paper.
- We'll be slipping the arms into this flap, though it isn't a big deal
if they glue them right to the front of the body.
- OK, now that we're comfy with our bags, let's craft!
PUTTING IT TOGETHER:
- If desired, paint the paper bag yellow and let dry completely.
Instead of painting, you could trace the bag onto a piece of yellow
construction paper and glue it onto the back. Trace again, this time
making it short enough to fit under the flippy tab and glue onto the
- Print the template of choice and color in the pieces, as necessary.
- Cut out the template pieces
- Glue the first half circle (TEMPLATE 3) underneath the flippy tab
- Glue the other half circle (TEMPLATE 3) onto the back of the paper
bag so the edge lines up with the first half circle (to form a complete
circle for the lion's mane).
- Skip the above two steps (the ones using template 3) to make a
- Lift the flap/snout and glue the tongue on underneath it.
- Glue the nose, eyes and ears onto the front of the flippy tab to
make the face.
- Glue the arms (TEMPLATE 2) onto the bag.
- OPTIONAL: wrap some wool around your fingers to make a tassel.
Attach the tassel onto a 'tail length' piece of wool and tape that to
the back of the bag.
TEMPLATE 1 (face) (color)
TEMPLATE 2 (arms) (color)
TEMPLATE 3 (mane) (color)
Print template 3 TWICE!
Printable version of this story