DLTK's Educational Activities for Kids
Daffodil Egg Carton Craft
by Leanne Guenther
Children under 4 can easily paint the cup for the daffodil, but the rest pretty much needs a child who's age 4 and up.
This is a great craft to do with the Mary, Mary Quite Contrary nursery rhyme, but it's also a nice spring craft.
Personally, my favorite use for
it is as a bouquet of crafted daffodils in a hand decorated jar served
with breakfast in bed (to me!) on Mother's Day *grin*.
Suggestion from Lisa:
"For the daffodil craft for younger children they could use a green straw taped to the flower instead of rolling up the paper for the stem!"
Materials you will need for the
- an egg carton cup.
Cardboard works far better as poster paint won't stick to the styrofoam.
If you're using styrofoam, just leave the cup white.
- Yellow paint (if you chose to
paint the cup)
- glue or tape
- green construction paper
- printer and white paper
- This is the alternative that
- Instead of printing out the
color Templates, print out the black and white template and trace it
onto a piece of cardboard.
- Let the children use this cardboard template to trace the shapes onto
colored construction paper.
- Print out the template of choice
and cut out the template pieces (at this point you can use the cardboard
alternative if you desire.
- Color or paint the template
pieces as required.
- Take a whole sheet of construction paper and roll it as tight as you can into a tube
- the kids won't be able to
roll it too tightly... That's ok, just have them do it as tight as
they are able.
- Oh, the look of concentration
you'll see during this step... You'd think they were performing brain
- Glue or tape the construction
paper so it stays as a tube. We found that tape worked better.
- Flatten and tape the end of the
end of the tube so you have a surface to attach your flower to.
- Cut a single egg carton cup from
the egg carton. Trim the edges so they aren't jagged.
- Paint the egg carton cup yellow.
- Paint the inside too!
Glue the petals to the
flattened part of the green tube
- Glue the egg carton cup to
the center of the petals
- Glue the leaves onto the tube
toward the bottom of the "stem" (if you'll be making a
jar full of these as a bouquet, you'll want to put the leaves a bit
higher up the stem).
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions