DLTK's Educational Activities
Camouflage Binoculars Craft
This simple toilet paper roll craft was as much fun to play with as it was to make!
- two toilet paper rolls
- glue or tape
- ribbon, string or wool
- scissors and hole punch
- something to color with (if using B&W version) or you could just use construction paper
- printer and paper
- OPTIONAL: small scrap of black construction paper
- Print template of choice (twice) and color pieces as necessary
- Cut out template pieces (may require adult assistance, but the pieces are easy for beginning scissor users to cut out)
- Glue or tape the large rectangle to the toilet paper roll
- Glue or tape the small rectangle to the end of the toilet paper roll.
- Repeat with the second template
- Glue or tape the two toilet paper rolls together side by side
- OPTIONAL: Cut a piece of black construction paper about
2" x 3"
- roll the piece so you have a small tube
- glue the tube to the top, of your binoculars (this is the focus)
- Punch holes on either side of the binoculars
- String a piece of wool, ribbon or string through so the binoculars can hang around the neck
NOTE: if you're worried about the children injuring themselves if they get the string tangled, punch the holes very close to the edge of the tp roll. That way the toilet paper roll will rip if the string gets tangled.
And last but not least, pull out the camera and get a few shots of daddy and the little ones sneaking around and spying on the neighbourhood cat with their camouflage binoculars. The daddy in our house spends far too much time dressing Barbies and tidying up the doll house for his daughters... He really enjoyed playing with his binoculars *grin*.
Template (shades of green) or (shades of pink) or (B&W)