DLTK's Educational Crafts for Kids
Colors and Shapes Paper Plate Wreath
This paper plate wreath combines primary colours and shapes for a fun project for young children. If you use the black and white version it is also good practice for following simple directions. Instruct the children to paint the circle red, colour the triangles yellow and the squares blue.
- something to color with
- a paper plate
- red paint and paint brush
- Cut the center out of the paper plate to leave a round "donut" shape. This will form the base of the wreath. (This may require adult assistance).
- Paint the donut shaped plate red.
- Print out the template pieces - you may wish to print 2 or 3 copies of the template depending on how full you want your wreath to be -- we used one template for the one in the photo.
- Color the template pieces (if using the B&W version) -- or you can print the B&W version on colored paper
- Cut out the template pieces. This will take quite awhile -- you can provide assistance if you like (depending on the patience of your child)
- Glue your paper shapes to cover your paper plate "donut"
- You can tie a bow from ribbon and paste it on to decorate further.
- You can put a piece of yarn on the back to hang it.
- You can do these as a group with younger children -- let each child cut out and color one or two template pieces and possibly print their initials on it then glue it on the group wreath.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).