DLTK's Educational Activities for Kids
Rainbow Fish Coffee Filter Craft
Tip from Val: To make the Rainbow Fish Crafts look underwater, stick it to a blue sheet of construction paper and glue on top one sheet of slightly crumpled cling wrap.
For an alternate idea see Sarah's suggestion.
- coffee filter (we used the brown kind, but white ones work too)
- children's markers (ex: crayola)
- wiggly eye or paper eye
- Flatten out coffee filter on a plate.
- Color roughly with various colors of markers - this is wonderful as even the youngest children can color this way.
- Wet coffee filter (using a squirt bottle or by flicking drops of water onto the filter with your hands).
- Set aside to dry for a few hours
- blow dry with a hand held blow dryer on low heat for about 5 minutes. (note: my girls LOVE blow drying the projects... I have no idea why *grin*)
- Once dry, cut out a fish shape from the coffee filter (we always save the scraps as they substitute well for any tissue paper projects we might make at a later date).
- Glue on some small strips and triangles of tinfoil.
- Glue on a wiggly eye and draw on a mouth.